Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Feeling the Awakenings of Freedom



Each year on July 4, Americans celebrate freedom and independence with barbecues, fireworks, picnics, and family gatherings. The Internet has provided us the opportunity to learn about and communicate with people of different nations, with different languages and different races throughout the world. Yet in thinking of the subject of Freedom and Independence, I can’t help but feel that freedom has no boundaries.  Freedom is an awakening. We each have these special moments that we feel free. Maybe it was a time that you let go of an emotional feeling(such as anger, jealously, or grief) to marry the one you love (no matter their gender), to be a female attending school in Afghanistan without the fear of having acid thrown at you, and not being afraid to be speak up for what you believe to be right and good, and freedom is the ability to worship and believe in your own special way. 
Our Family


 To be free is first opening up to the world.  Ann White often states that being alive and free is to “awaken your soul.” However, with freedom, comes the responsibility. We must be wise with our words, actions, and attitudes.  We must allow ourselves to be free too. Jean-Paul Sartre stated thatFreedom is what you do with what's been done to you.  I believe this means in a situation that happens whether good or bad, you have the choice to make your own path not to dwell on what has happened and give yourself a hard time. Freedom is moving on and allowing peace.


Expressing yourself artistically can be freedom..Egypt


In the past, to even go to prom, visit a biological family member, or even attend a social gathering meant I had to fill out paperwork 45 days in advance, have it approved by social workers, and sometimes a  judge.  It was extremely frustrating for me as a teen. Whoever asked if they could go on a date 45 days in advance when a boy might or might not ask you to prom? That prom night I remember crying over missing senior prom and I was stuck playing Monopoly with Andy! I will never forget Andy telling me nothing is stopping you from having fun!  I fussed, “I have no freedom and you neither.” He then said, “We can still be free!” I dropped my thimble piece and we both stripped off our clothes and ran naked in the wooded area where we were both living at the time. We both ran with our arms stretched and laughed! After we came back we hurriedly dressed and I will never forget how the staff just happened to walk up and say, “Why are you both laughing in a rather snarky tone.” I looked up and said I landed on Free Parking.. That made Andy and I laugh even more!  
 
“We can still be free!”

I remember my first taste of “real” freedom; I was 18 years old and had just signed my paperwork with my guardian ad litem. I was so excited to be able to make a choice that it was an overwhelming feeling. Yet on the day, my biological mother and I had lunch at a Chinese restaurant and we went to a book store. I bought the novel Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë and read the entire book that night in a hotel outside Kingston, Tennessee. I still have that book today!  What does freedom mean to you and when did you feel freedom?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...