Friday, June 13, 2014

Oh The Perspective!

Compassion and taking a step back to look from a different perspective is often empowering.


 To pause and consider other viewpoints mindfully is an essential skill for problem solving in all areas, from understanding conflict to finding alternative strategies for solving problems. Mentally standing in someone else's shoes requires reflection and giving up ones ego, pride, and can forestall an unthinking reaction. 




"Stopping the unending flow of daily life for a pause and possibly a moment’s thought…"Alan McCluskey  

I myself have done this for a female who hurt me terribly and as soon as I opened my heart to her, the compassion and true forgiveness began. I became OK. This is often completed privately but I was surprised at how many others noticed the change in me without knowing what was going on inside. Furthermore, our brains are very involved with this process! Calm perspective talking directs incoming information on to the reflective part of the brain.



Hmmmm.. How can I put this. Our emotional amygdala will stand down and our prefrontal cortex becomes in control. It is this part of the brain (the prefrontal cortex) that makes superior decisions, facilitating good choices. I could go on with how this creates neuroplasticity.... However, I think each who reads this will understand.

Special thanks to Janice Phelps Williams for inspiring this post! Oh and to Mindful Shenandoah Valley for the wonderful tools you have given me! And gratitude toward many others who are part of my path of life!

  

"True generosity requires more of us than kindly impulse. Above all it requires imagination – the capacity to see people in all their perplexities and needs, and to know how to expend ourselves effectively for them." I.A.R. Wylie.


Photo by http://photos.secret-paths.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...