Monday, June 8, 2015

Still Alice by Lisa Genova



Still Alice

 by Lisa Genova

 
“In examining disease, we gain wisdom about anatomy and physiology and biology. In examining the person with disease, we gain wisdom about life.”
― Lisa Genova,
Still Alice



One of my greatest passions is reading. Another passion that I have is learning new crafts. I could easily spend an afternoon relaxing on the porch with a cup of tea with a novel in my lap.  Moreover, who doesn’t like to get crafty and learn something? Recently, my friend Huguette had suggested that I watch the movie Still Alice.  I have heard others mention the movie and novel. It was highly recommended.  While rummaging the books at Costco, I saw the book, Still Alice by, Lisa Genova on Cd read by the author. I could not resist! I have been working on several crochet projects therefore this was the perfect solution to enjoy two passions at once. 


My Japaneses tea set and audiobook Still Alice
Alice Howland is 50 year’s old Harvard professor, a mother of three older children and a well-educated husband.  She is proud of the life she has achieved. However, Alice begins to grow forgetful at first she just dismisses it, she becomes lost in her own neighborhood while running. Alice finds herself in the rapid downward spiral of Early Onset Alzheimer’s disease. 


“My yesterdays are disappearing, my tomorrows are uncertain, so what do I live for? I live for each day. I live in the moment.”
― Lisa Genova

Photo Credit: Author's website
Lisa Genova is a master storyteller and I completely connected with the characters. I  felt everything as Alice lost more and more moments of herself. Genova gives the reader insight and perspective into each family member’s experience as they experience Alice’s disease take over. 

 The book has several emotional moments as each of Alice’s children are tested and given the results if they too carry the Alzheimer’s gene.  My favorite part was toward the latter half of the book on cd when Alice gave a speech at The 2005 Annual Alzheimer's Association Dementia Care Conference. It is a touching and mindful approach as how to help people living with Alzheimer’s to enrich their lives and have fun. 


“And I have no control over which yesterdays I keep and which ones get deleted. This disease will not be bargained with. I can't offer it the names of the US presidents in exchange for the names of my children. I can't give it the names of state capitals and keep the memories of my husband.

...My yesterdays are disappearing, and my tomorrows are uncertain, so what do I live for? I live for each day. I live in the moment. Some tomorrow soon, I'll forget that I stood before you and gave this speech. But just because I'll forget it some tomorrow doesn't mean that I didn't live every second of it today. I will forget today, but that doesn't mean that today doesn't matter.”
― Lisa Genova, Still Alice 


 

Lisa Genova has good clarity and is free of any acoustical characteristic that might become a distraction for the listener. Her strength and stamina through keep points in the narrative keep the listener focused. Furthermore, she is a natural at characterization. She was appropriate and consistent without underplaying or overplaying Alice.



Still Alice is a well written, heartbreaking novel, and it is evident that the author did extensive research. Lisa Genova's words leave the reader captivated while giving insight to the devastating effects of Alzheimer’s disease. I give Still Alice by Lisa Genova my highest recommendation.   

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...