Saturday, July 11, 2015

Something Spicy: Special Saturday Farmgirl Sisterhood Post



Something Spicy

Special Saturday Farmgirl Sisterhood Post




On Friday night, my “Dear Husband” and I participated in the “Beyond Tex Mex” cooking class with Theresa Apple at Nibblins. I guess you could call this a date or a night out for us.  The last time we took a class together was over 20 years ago while living in Naples, Italy.  Therefore, it was fun and something we have not done in a long time. 


My "Dear Husband" 



As soon as we arrived, we could smell the amazing aroma of pork and chicken that needed to be prepared ahead for purpose of time. Theresa immediately welcomed the five students and drinks were served. I was attracted to the colorful peppers and spices. My mouth began to water with anticipation!  






Sopa de Fideo.
My favorite part of this class was not just the tasting but the stories that were told. Theresa spoke fondly of her Grandma Betty that would gather the entire family into her home and prepare Sopa de Fideo. 








This was a comfort dish that was never written down until Theresa visited Grandma Betty every day for weeks. She was able to recorded this for all to enjoy. 






Laughs were exchanged as secrets were shared with how each of us as parents would sneak in vegetables to our children’s diet when they were in the “picky” eating stage. Yet, Zanahorias Con Leche was always a well loved dish for Theresa’s children. 


I learned that making tamales is Theresa Apples’s favorite family cooking tradition. On New Year’s Eve, everyone gathers around the kitchen table and prepares over 500 tamales. They each shared their memories over the past year and connect with each other. Our class also enjoyed this opportunity to learn about each others passions. 




The woman next to me enjoys cooking classes and her daughter had lost a tooth that day. My husband was a bit of a ham but was so helpful pulling the pork and assisting our instructor. I am always amazed at how more men are in the classes than woman. Oh, we even learned the secret to cutting up olives! Shhh…. It is all in the can! 




These classes in my humble opinion offer much more than the delights of food but give an extra sauce that enhance the flavors of my life. It doesn't matter if it is mild, hot, green or red sauce, it is a connection for me to the community around me. I often leave with a new awareness and appreciation to all that surrounds me. This fills me with gratitude and a good warm spicy feeling! Enjoy the quotes and recipes below.













 "It's difficult to meet an ungenerous cook. The very heart of the experience of making food is about sharing, nurture, generosity, the giving of pleasure."



"Breathe deeply and attack life with gusto! Cook, serve, and eat, with the capacity to enjoy, to capture the mood of festivity, to savor conversation, and to appreciate company." 
found on the menu board at Poteger Restaurant





 



“No one who cooks, cooks alone. Even at her most solitary, a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations of cooks past, the advice and menus of cooks present, the wisdom of cookbook writers.”
Laurie Colwin









 The Recipes! 

 




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...