Tuesday, August 4, 2015

A Creative Space

My Stained Glass Workshop





I recently read an article on World of Wonderlust about creating a space that allows one to reach a higher creative level of being. The article stated.... 

"Any creative person will be the first to tell you that your work is heavily influenced by your surrounds. That’s why it is essential to create a space that inspires you, encourages you and leads you to create your best work."


I find that this is also true with building relationships! We can build each other up or bring each other down. I have always been a bit of an open minded person and allow the opportunity to see things from a different perspective. Therefore, I want my space/environment a creative and inspiring one. On the other hand, I do not want to create in one limited area. This is how I feel with relationships. To me, friendships and meaningful interactions expand and does not limit. I will use this new stained glass area to cut and shape glass, but I create in other areas.  For example. I often copper foil my glass in the coffee shop or outside on our deck. Same with relationships, I have a variety of friends each with unique and valued contributions. Ponder this questions. Is this not true. do we not seek from different areas to fill needs.  


Often my friends offer differences, all the various personality types somehow mesh well with mine in one way or another. Each friend is like a puzzle piece to my heart, a piece of beautiful glass and each one comes together to complete an important facet of who I am..... A window to my soul.




"Creativity can release you from the limitations that the world has constructed around you."
Robert LaSardo



I recently asked my good friend Huguette about her passion for art. She responded that it is hard to express the process and how she sculpts. Yet, I understand how she creates within. I am amazed how she just allows it to happen and and it forms all on it's own. By polishing edges, chiseling away the rough edges, art is formed. This was a powerful lesson for me in many ways. 


 "Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things in a different way." 
Gary Ryan Blair
 









When I first started stained glass, I was a bit afraid to take it up. My mother is a talented stained glass artist and I often want nothing to do with anything that is associated with my parents or biological family. This is from the shattered and sharp edges of pain and abuse that has happen in my personal life. However, Gary Ryan Blair wrote....


"Creative risk taking is essential to success in any goal where the stakes are high. Thoughtless risks are destructive, of course, but perhaps even more wasteful is thoughtless caution which prompts inaction and promotes failure to seize opportunity."





Listen to me .....


Never step away because it might have been done before. You are different and your experience is your own! 


It is important to have a place to create in your life. No matter if it is writing, stained glass, or creating meaningful relationships. Now back to that article that I mentioned at the beginning, I will adopting the main ingredients it suggest such as;  inviting inspiring visuals or individuals, organizing the chaos (boundaries of what I allow in my space), letting light in and within, and taking those risk. This is how I create my creative space! 




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...