Friday, August 7, 2015

Bunny! Farmgirl Sisterhood Post 11

Silly Little Rabbit! 

Farmgirl Sisterhood Post 11

“I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit.

"No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way.”

― A.A. Milne


What a busy week. Our family has been hopping with activities as the end of summer comes and the new school year will soon begin. A final rush for the boys to have a sleepover, a last camping adventure with the Boy Scouts, and trip to the mall for the latest and coolest middle school fashions. Moreover, I have been celebrating several friends birthdays, cross stitching, and a quick tidy in the garden since we have a short break with the warm temperatures. 


Can you guess why I named the bunny, Celery N. Onions?
As I  pulled out the dried up squash vines, Celery N. Onions gave me a good scare yesterday when that baby bunny practically jumped into my arms! Should have heard me squeal! The neighborhood sure did!  I do not know for sure, but I think he was playing a trick on me. After all, I have been visited by this baby bunny everyday after breakfast while on the back deck. On Monday, Celery N. Onions sat hidden in grass near the chamomile. Tuesday, he was hidden under the butterfly bush, Now he has found the garden.





I will admit that is is rather tempting to gather the cute little fellow and make it a pet. However, this is a happy wild bunny that has not been orphaned or needs to be rescued. Bunnies do not voluntarily leave the nest until around 4 – 5 weeks old. By the look at this bunny, it is past this age.  He is exploring and making a home. 


“Hallo, Rabbit,” he said, “is that you?”
"Let’s pretend it isn’t,” said Rabbit, “and see what happens.”
― A.A. Milne

I researched, What to Do About Wild Rabbits and learned much about Little Bunny Foo Foo.  The reality is fewer than 10% of orphaned rabbits survive a week, and the care that people attempt to provide can be illegal, unnecessary, and potentially harmful. The best thing you can do is put the bunny right back where you found him, in the general area, as the mom will only come back at night to call and find him.



Celery N. Onions allowed me to weed around him and stayed in the garden area. He even enjoyed hiding under the snap beans and peeking at me. I am sure, I sounded ridiculous sing every rabbit song I could remember from childhood. However, the bunny didn't complain one bit. Having this little garden visitor rather warmed my heart and helped me to connect with nature.





I was rather surprised how spending this short time with the rabbit reminded me that I share this earth with the other animals.  We must have mutual respect and kindness to all creatures. Be sure to keep your eyes open before you mow or and taking a stroll and if you see a baby bunny. take a moment to stop and enjoy. 








LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...