Saturday, September 19, 2015

Jammin with Apples



An Apple a Day Keeps Ginger Dawn....

 Busy!

 



Now that I have visited the Apple orchard, it was time to do something with all those apples! Therefore, I went to Pinterest and did a bit of searching for ideas. Oh boy was I ready to jam and add some sauce to the pantry! First, I cleaned my apples and gather three recipes. Here they are.



Caramel Apple Jam



Ingredients

6 cups apples, diced and peeled (1/8 inch cubes, roughly – this takes about three pounds of whole apples)
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon butter
1 package (1.75 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg


Now, I can very easily copy word for word the process that the simpledollar.com used. To be honest, they walk you step by step and have pictures also. 


I must admit that I was like the man’s three year old daughter. I was completely giddy and happy with that fancy apple device that peels the apple, removes the core, and puts a big spiral slice in that apple. Moreover, I was humming that theme song from The Apple Dumpling Gang. 



After I completed the Caramel Apple Jam. I still had plenty of apples. I immediately thought of The Brady Bunch and had dreams of dinner serving… Pork Chops and Applesauce. 


I followed this recipe from food.com and was beyond pleased! I will use this recipe from now on! Not only did it taste great but my house smelled fantastic! 

 

After, I completed my Jam and Jelly. 



I had to figure out what to do with the scraps. Again, I went to Pinterest. I had a package of cheesecloth that I was just dying to use. (Can you tell this was my first time making Jam and Jelly?) I was surprised at how easy this was to make!

Apple Scrap Jelly


Ingredients:
  • Apple peels and cores from about 20 apples
  • 6 cups of water
  • 6 TBSP classic pectin
  • 9 cups of white sugar
  • Cheesecloth
Directions:

1. Peel the apples. Prepare your canner, lids, and jars.


2. Cook the peels and cores in 6 cups of water until soft (30-45 minutes).


3. Place cheesecloth inside of a strainer. Pour the apple parts and water 
into the cheesecloth and allow them to drain. Don’t squeeze out the excess liquid or your jelly will be cloudy!


4. Add water to the liquid, as needed, to obtain a total of 7 cups. Put the 7 cups of liquid back into your clean pot. Add classic pectin and bring to a rapid boil.


5. Add sugar, stir, and boil hard for 1 minute. You’ll know it’s ready when the jelly starts to bubble up the pot. Remove the pot from the heat.


6. Ladle the hot jelly into hot, sterilized jars, remove bubbles and check head space (1/4 inch), tighten lids to finger-tip tight, and process for 5 minutes in a water-bath. After 5 minutes, turn off the burner and remove the lid. Allow the hot jelly to rest for 5 minutes in the water. Remove the jars, allow them to cool, then check that they sealed properly. Label, store, or giveaway! 






Apple scrap jelly is beautiful, and tasty too! I didn’t add any food coloring – the cheery pink tone is from the apple peels.





It was a rather busy day but what fun I had! As a little girl, I did not have the opportunity to make Jams and Jelly in the kitchen. Yet, I did read every Laura Ingalls Wilder book! Remember when Laura, Manly and Rose arrive in Mansfield, MO in 1894 after suffering terrible losses in the Dakotas with only $100 to their name. They use this money as a down payment to buy the land that will become Apple Hill Farm. 

 
Well, I reckon I will not own Apple Hill Farm but I will enjoy the jam and spice that life blesses me with.



 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...