Thursday, November 19, 2015

Terrible Taste Thursday: Butter ”Not” Squash



Terrible Taste Thursday

Butter ”Not” Squash

 

Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Brush squash halves with butter.

I have never been a good cook. The truth is that I can even make toast taste bad. I think this is a hereditary issue. My Grandmother once sent the entire family to the emergency room due to her canning. The diagnosis was food poisoning. However, I do try to cook and bring back the family honor. 

 
In a small bowl, combine the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper; sprinkle over squash halves.

Like many who surf Pinterest, I have culinary fantasies. A lovely meal presented to a fan club gathering around the table in adoration with eager forks in hand salivating over what I have brought to the table. Instead, my meat loaf is more of a meat lump, chicken cheese stuffing casserole that was more like mushy muck. Oh and it is true that the local fire department came to our home because I burned lunch. However at the time, I was homeschooling so we just made it a fire drill.

Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-25 minutes longer until squash is tender.

I do follow several cooking bloggers such as Dolly Is Cooking. I also like Deborah Jean from Dandelion House. They are  fabulous cooks! Moreover, I really try hard to follow directions. Nevertheless, things just do not taste right. Whenever we would be asked to bring something to the church potluck, it never failed, my homemade dish was not the award winning empty creation at the end. As a matter of fact after that potluck, we were only asked to bring napkins, soda, or cutlery. Even for the Blue and Gold or Boy Scout meal or Christmas Party we bring “Costco Surprise.” The surprise is that I have no idea what I will pick up at Costco. It is usually a shrimp tray. 




Maybe this dish will taste better for you. The recipe came from Taste of Home. Well it was that for sure. It just left a bad taste in our mouth. I will not give up. In fact, who doesn’t have a culinary disaster of the household kind?



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...