Monday, February 1, 2016

Self Discovery: Portia Nelson



There's a Hole in My Sidewalk:

 The Romance of Self-Discovery
By Portia Nelson




Portia Nelson’s book, There’s a Hole in My Sidewalk is not only a self-discovery read for this reader but has wisdom and humor. I purchased this novel after hearing the poem at the end of this post recited during a meditation sangha. The book is a short and quick read but I feel that it is best to read in short segments in order to allow time to reflect on each piece.  Portia Nelson touches on many themes but is heavy on relationships. This allows the reader to examine the connections and explore the vivid insight. Furthermore, the author uses herself as the example. 


There’s a Hole in MySidewalk has a good amount of thoughtful prose that is not overdone. I was happen with how each word was articulately placed and is balanced with the personal awareness provided by the author. My favorite chapter was five, “Alive and Aware.” Embracing that alone is not gloom and the metaphor that a soul is a room with a wedding inside was beautiful. How often do we not think of ourselves as a bride when relating to ourselves? This book would make an excellent gift for a friend. The cost of the book listed on amazon is fair but I found the book cover a bit boring. Moreover, I feel that this book will resonate with woman between the ages of 30 to 99 a bit more.



I recommend There’s a Hole in MySidewalk which includes more than 100 touching poems including the one below that gently guide readers to a more authentic and enjoyable life. 

  



Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

“I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost... I am helpless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place.
But, it isn't my fault.
It still takes me a long time to get out.

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in. It's a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault. I get out immediately.

walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.

I walk down another street.”





LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...