Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Farm Day 2016



Farm Day 2016  


This past weekend my family and I had the opportunity to visit a few of our local farms. This has become a bit of a tradition and happy event that I look forward to each year. I am not from West Virginia and it has been the most difficult place that I have ever lived. It is hard to explain in a way. You can go 45 minutes in each direction from my house and get a completely different cultural experience. It is these difference that make it very difficult for a non-local as myself to fit in. However, Farm Day is different. It is a day of connection and learning! 

The History of Farm Day


Beginning in 2002 under the direction of Jane Tabb, a County Commissioner and farmer, Farm Day was born. With Farm Day the agricultural community reached out to the public in a new and inspired way. Farm Day is a self-guided tour showcasing local, active farms. The purpose is to educate the public about farms, farmers and farmland. It is sponsored by the Jefferson County Farm Bureau, the Potomac Headwaters R, C & D Council, the Small Business Development Center of the Panhandle and the WVU Jefferson County Extension Service.

The Farms 
 
The First Farm that I visited was Eversweet Apiaries. The late Herb Everhart founded Eversweet Apiaries in 2002. Daughter Jennifer King now manages the operation which stocks a complete line of bee equipment plus honey bees and queens.












In addition, Eversweet holds numerous free workshops and field days about beekeeping. Eversweet maintains fifty hives within a five mile radius. Farm Day featured honey tasting and a honey extractor demonstration. I am really looking forward to taking the Bee keeping class in November. I also found a few goodies to purchase.








The next farm was Munchin Hill Farm. Let me tell you…… I was one with the goats! Seriously, those goats were so full of personality and all were just waiting for me to write a story about them! Jeff and Pat Adels moved their dairy goat herd to WV sixteen years ago. With 40 years of experience, their immaculate farm showcases their passion for dairy goats. They work with two breeds: French Alpine and Oberhasli, show at the national level and sell kids and milkers. I really appreciated the funny stories about Porsha that Pat told us and her daughter was so informative. For a city slicker, I was ready to give goat farming a try! 

 








 Jeff and Pat Adels moved their dairy goat herd to WV sixteen years ago. With 40 years of experience, their immaculate farm showcases their passion for dairy goats. They work with two breeds: French Alpine and Oberhasli, show at the national level and sell kids and milkers. I really appreciated the funny stories about Porsha that Pat told us and her daughter was so informative. For a city slicker, I was ready to give goat farming a try!




The last farm we toured was Taylor’s Ranch.  Denny and Karone Finger moved to Jefferson County in 2014 and immediately began building a horse complex for thoroughbreds. The fifteen stall barn is surrounded by numerous black fenced paddocks and run in sheds. I watched mares and foals graze side by side, I strolled through the barn and sadly I didn’t get to meet Taylor, the family dog and the ranch’s namesake. This was a great view into the farm side of racing. Denny was very interesting and we had a great conversation about Witching Wells. My husband’s father did this. 

This little guy is only four weeks old!



At Eight Weeks Old!

Every barn has a few good cats!



I didn’t make it to the fourth farm but that is ok. It was a great day with family and it brought lots of joy! I hope you enjoyed this post.

My Goodies from Farm Day!



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...