Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Social Media Break



July Social Media Break




Most people won’t admit how much social media means, or has meant, to them. For me, social media has been my life since 2010. My Blog began in 2013.  I’ve built relationships using Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other platforms to garner attention, build community and for opportunities to learn.  I have also joined a few online groups also that have brought great new experiences with crafting and learning. So, are you ready for this….
I'm spending a month without social media. 

First Family Selfie 2011
Here are my ground rules:
  • Start date is July 1, end date is August 1.
  • No logging into, checking, or posting to Facebook, Blog, or Pinterest (since those are the sites I actually use).
  • Discussing social media is allowed.
  • Texting and email are allowed.
 
 
My son when he was five.

So what will I do with 20 extra hours in the day, you wonder? Just kidding about the 20 extra hours….

For starters, I want to focus on creating more meaningful connections with friends and family. My son is off during the summer and will be starting High School in August. Yikes a 9th grader! I want to use part of this time to create moments with him and my husband. I also enjoy writing letter via snail mail. This is also special and a moment where I can connect with other far away or nearby. It is often a nice surprise to get a letter in the mail. 






It is no secret that I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. I have left it many times. Only to be left out of the loop by friends and family. You know wedding photos, births, pregnancy news, and some that I thought I had a very close relationship were in the end more of a one-sided relationship. I guess I am Desperately Fanatical about checking social media sites. I admit it is the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing I do at night. It’s like some kind of unsatisfying, technological long-distance lover in a way. 






I’m pretty curious about this month. Will I gain perspective, learn some new hobbies, and connect better with my friends and family? Or will I turn into an antisocial weirdo who has no idea what others are up to? Please do visit my friend's blog that are listed to the right. And I bet I will have much to discuss in August! If I don't cheat... 


We will see…..


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...