Friday, October 28, 2016

Fable Friday



Seaside Charm
A Flash Fiction by Ginger Dawn Harman



Bertie had an odd face like a seagull. Squawking and screeching about the injustice and inhumanity of the political system and local gossip. Yet, she was more expressive on Tuesday at the weekly Kangaroo Court defending herself and others like me. Many avoided her beady eyes of observation. They spoke behind her back waiting for just the right moment to swoop in. Even Mr. Laridae, the pastor turned his nose at her demonstrations.

“Why must you stamp your feet, for no other reason than bring the earthworms to the surface?” 

He did not understand.

Did anyone but me see her biggest accomplishment?  Her noble efforts for the homeless and unwanted. After all, she took me in. Nobody wanted a fledgling with a long history of trauma. I felt comfort and acceptance under her wing.

Bertie protected me.

Bertie fed me. 

Bertie taught me to not just go after and focus on the crackers tossed at you or scavenge for the crumbs in life. 

I learned to fly and not circle around in the same behavioral patterns of the other flock.

  
I choose to be the shine of the heart that some were blinded by. 





The above story was inspired from prompts provided by Elephant Child. A wonderful blogger who encourages many to write.  Each week we are given a choice of prompts: which can be words, phrases, music or an image.   What we do with those prompts is up to us:  a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or treating them with ignore...  We can use some or all of the prompts.


I am usually not brave to share what I had written but I wanted to this week in honor of Jacqueline, aka “The Cranky.” Sadly she had a stroke and is unable to continue with the group. I tend to have a mindful attitude of life and want people to explore other perspectives. I believe that sometimes the story or things that one thinks is not necessarily true. It is by the “Pause” that one is able to create a different approach which can bring expanding of the self. 

The Artwork at the top is by Joyce Welch



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...