Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Two For Tuesday



Recipes & Let’s Get Physical



I apologize for this double post. Our home has been invaded by the Influenza Strain B. Two out of three of us are ill and I just haven't been able to post as much on my blog. However, I recently earned two badges that I wanted to share! 

As a member of The MaryJane Farmgirl Sisterhood, we are each given an opportunity to earn merit badges. It is sorta like scouts for grownups. And, what a great way to learn new things. This month I earned my “Beginner” Merit badge titled, Recipes.

To earn this badge, I needed to
  • Gather your family’s favorite and well-loved recipes. Talk to your grandparents, parents, and aunts and uncles.
  • If any are not written down, write them down now!
I must admit that this may seem like an easy badge to earn but it is difficult for me. The reason for this is because I do not like cooking, I do not know how to cook very well, and the truth is it makes me feel a bit sad to cook. There is an old saying that the heart of the family home is in the kitchen. For my biological family the kitchen consisted of terrible fighting and it was just not a happy place. After I was removed from my biological family and placed into foster care, most of the kitchen areas in the homes that I lived in were off limits and hired cooks made our meals. My favorite cook was named Ada. She would sometimes sneak Andy and me a treat if we hung out by the kitchen door. Now she was a good cook. I still have never had red beans and rice or sloppy joes that matched hers. 



My husband’s mother passed away when he was a teen. Our first married meal was hotdogs on top of baked beans with cheese on top. I sorta laugh at this because we also had rice which clogged up the sink and I added liquid joy to the dishwasher. Needless to say we had very clean floors. After a while, I was lucky to have my husband’s great aunt Ruby Harman send me her personal collection of recipes. I just found them a few weeks ago. It was at this point that I had a warmth in my heart to give cooking a try again. I also want to give a bit of credit to several bloggers like:

Dolly at Hibiscus House

Oh and let’s not forget The MaryJane Farmgirl magazine! I am really looking forward to making some of Aunt Ruby’s dishes. I miss her and Uncle Woody. They were such a comfort to my husband and I when we were living overseas. As I look at her recipes, I was a bit tickled to see how she added notes in the corners. Some of her handwritten notes say, favorite, easy, and special dinner. I also found my father in law’s favorite cookbook. He gave us this cookbook with his ice cream recipe before he passed away.



This was a heartfelt badge in a way because it brought back nice memories that in a way heal the negative memories that I had as a child. So I am grateful to whoever thought about creating this opportunity. Now, I have a list to make for the market! 

“Let’s Get Physical”

Beginner Level
  • Set goals, whether they are weight-loss goals, exercise goals, or diet goals, and stick to them for one month.

In January, I spoke with my doctors and received the approval to exercise at our local Health and Wellness Center associated with our hospital. I have been battling a left bundle branch block and pulmonary issues. After several test and a couple of different inhalers, my health has stabilized. So time to up the psychical fitness. For starters, I have set the goal to visit the gym four days a week. I also did the psychical assessment and will do another one in three months. This will also be given to my internal medicine doctor. For weight loss, I have set the goal for ten pounds. It is best for me to go slow and steady so I do not get discouraged. As for eating. Let’s face it. I eat too much and eat terrible food. Nevertheless, I am making it a goal to purchase more local and organic items. Oh and eat less of it.  I am really proud of the progress that I have made in my fist month. I have lost four pounds and have tried several different classes such as Tai Chi, Water Aerobics, Interval weight training, and the machines on the main gym floor. I am a fan of the elliptical and recumbent bike. My favorite class is water aerobics but today, I decided to step it up and do Aqua Boot Camp. Oh Lordy, my arms and calves are still feeling it. This was a good lesson to not jump into the harder classes when I am not ready. 



I feel very fortunate that I am able to attend the Health and Wellness Center and look forward to my next doctor’s visit with my results. Even if you set a small goal with 250 steps an hour that is a start. To be honest, I take my health... even though it is not perfect... for granted. Many would be more than happy to walk, swim, or ride a bike. When I get discouraged, I imagine that those who are not able to do these things sorta step into my body and go for it. I imagine their joy and happiness. 



This snaps me real quick out of my negative mood. I feel that sometimes, our biggest challenge is ourselves. Anyways, I am glad that I am taking the time to take care of my health and I encourage all to do the same. Oh and as of today, March 7th, I have lost ten pounds! So first goal reached!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...